The Ferrars Street Education and Community Precinct is a catalyst project for Fishermans Bend in the Montague precinct. It showcases how community infrastructure and public spaces will be designed and delivered for Fishermans Bend - multi-purpose, flexible and integrated with complementary community services and facilities.
The new precinct features:
- South Melbourne Primary School, Victoria's first government vertical primary school with integrated community facilities and services. The school opened for Term 1 in 2018.
- A new community park adjacent to the school at 2-4 Buckhurst Street.
Further improvements to the precinct were also carried out to enhance the connectivity and safety of the precinct in the lead up to and following the completion of the new school:
- Upgrades to the nearby tram stops on Route 109 (stop 125A) and Route 96 (stop 126) providing pedestrian priority and safe access to the new primary school and the local area.
- The City Road/Ferrars Street road intersection upgrade to provide safe access for pedestrians, cyclists and cars to new primary school and precinct.
- Changes to Railway Place, Douglas, Ferrars, Meaden, Buckhurst and Kerr Streets to promote pedestrian priority, sustainable transport and safe access to the new school and precinct.
The new precinct is being delivered through a collaboration between the Fishermans Bend Taskforce, City of Port Phillip, Victorian School Building Authority, Public Transport Victoria and VicRoads.
View the precinct map and find out more about the features and improvements taking place as part of this project.
Montague community park time-lapse
Cameras have been capturing the ongoing works at the new community park site at 2-4 Buckhurst Street, South Melbourne.
This time-lapse video shows the progress of the park construction. The video captures the demolition of the original building and park construction progress to date. The current works consist primarily of site establishment, excavation and the preparation and formation of both Surveyors Place and the Southern Plaza along Buckhurst Street.
Montague Community Park
Demolition at 2-4 Buckhurst Street South Melbourne has completed and works commenced on the new community park on 8 January 2018. The entire park site has been fenced off, permanently closing Ferrars Street (between Douglas Street and Gladstone Street) and Gladstone Street (between Kerr Street and Ferrars Street), and narrowing Kerr Street.
Streetscape works will create enhanced school drop-off zones in Ferrars Street, Kerr Street and Whiteman Street, loading zones in Meaden Street and Kerr Street, pedestrian crossings in the vicinity of the new school building (including Buckhurst Street and Ferrars Street), a bus zone in Kerr Street and additional visitor parking spaces in Ferrars Street.
For more information, please visit the City of Port Phillip website.