The Ferrars Street Education and Community Precinct is a catalyst project for Fishermans Bend in the Montague precinct. It showcases how community infrastructure and public spaces will be designed and delivered for Fishermans Bend - multi-purpose, flexible and integrated with complementary community services and facilities.
The new precinct will feature:
- Victoria's first government vertical primary school with integrated community facilities and services. Click here to see the latest artist impressions and keep up-to-date on the progress of the construction of the school
- A new community park on the site of 2-4 Buckhurst Street.
Further improvements to the precinct will also be carried out to enhance the connectivity and safety of the precinct in the lead up to and following the completion of the new school:
- Upgrades to the nearby tram stops on Route 109 (stop 125A) and Route 96 (stop 126) to provide pedestrian priority and safe access to the new primary school and the local area.
- The City Road/Ferrars Street road intersection will be upgraded to provide safe access for pedestrians, cyclists and cars to new primary school and precinct.
- Changes to Railway Place, Douglas, Ferrars, Meaden, Buckhurst and Kerr Streets are planned to promote pedestrian priority, sustainable transport and safe access to the new school and precinct.
The new precinct is being delivered through a collaboration between the Fishermans Bend Taskforce, City of Port Phillip, Victorian School Building Authority, Public Transport Victoria and VicRoads.
Click here to view the precinct map and find out more about the features and improvements taking place as part of this project.
Montague Community Park
Works have now started to demolish the building at 2-4 Buckhurst Street South Melbourne to prepare the site for the new Montague Community Park (interim name). The demolition works are expected to be completed by the end of August 2017. After that, the site will remain surrounded by temporary fencing until further work to create the new park begins over the coming months. For more information, please visit the City of Port Phillip website.
VicRoads is currently upgrading the City Road/Ferrars Street intersection to provide safe access for pedestrians, cyclists and cars to new primary school and precinct.
The works involve realigning the intersection, installing traffic splitter islands, providing pedestrian refuge islands, adjusting the existing traffic signals and improving street lighting. Once completed, it will allow northbound traffic to travel in both directions on Ferrars Street.
During the works, there will be lane closures on City Road and Ferrars Street northbound between:
- 10am – 3pm weekdays
- 8pm – 6am weeknights
- 7am -5pm weekends
There will also be reduced speed limits in the area to protect the safety of workers and the community. Please be aware of changed traffic conditions and observe any signs in place. Access to residential and business properties will remain available at all times.
The works are expected to be completed by mid-July.