Fishermans Bend is set to become a destination of choice for families with plans released today boosting transport connections, homes, parks, schools and services for the growing community.
The Fishermans Bend Framework delivers the vision for the area to 2050 so that it becomes a global benchmark for smart, sustainable development where people want to live, work, learn and invest.
Key initiatives in the Framework include:
- New walking and cycling connections, immediate enhancements to bus services and planning for a future tram network and metro rail connection linking the CBD to western Melbourne via Fishermans Bend
- Doubling open space to the equivalent of 2/3rds the size of Docklands featuring an additional 4 AFL size ovals, 6 soccer pitches and 8 outdoor courts
- Housing choice and diversity for 80,000 residents including a target of 6% affordable housing
- 80,000 jobs through the creation of additional high value jobs and businesses
- Balancing growth and liveability through robust planning controls that deliver community benefits such as parks and affordable housing, and stronger height and overshadowing provisions
- 4 primary schools including South Melbourne (Ferrars Street) Primary School currently underway, a public secondary school and multi-purpose health, arts and sports community hubs.
Fishermans Bend will be Australia’s largest Green Star – Community and sustainability goals will drive the overall social, environmental and economic planning for the precinct. The early stage of the area’s development is an advantage to introducing mass scale efficiencies in water, energy, construction and services.
The plan will be implemented through a range of funding mechanisms being investigated.
Once finalised, the Framework and planning controls will replace the existing Strategic Framework Plan and the interim built form controls. A series of public information sessions and workshops are being held over coming weeks. A Planning Review Panel has been established to receive submissions and will conduct public hearings following the close of consultation.